بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Various approaches are implied by the Muslims to gain the most out of the nights which have been declared to be auspicious. Among these are the last 10 (odd) nights of Ramadhān which are generally thought to contain Laylah al Qadr.
Shaikh Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani mentioned that these last nights of Ramadhān are meant for the servant to foster a strong relationship with his Master (Allah). Hence one should strive to worship Allah Ta’ālā by:
1. Reciting Qur’an in abundance, since this is the month of Qur’an.
2. Making lots of Du’aa – asking Allah for the bounties of this world and the hereafter.
Numerous supplications from Qur’an and Hadith have been nicely compiled in Munajāt e Maqbool (1) by Hazrat Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi which may be read during these nights.
3. Offering Nafl (voluntary) Salah – whereby:
a. the Qiyām is prolonged through lengthy recitation from the Qur’an
b. the Rukū‘ is prolonged through Tasbeeh – by reciting these, for example :
سبحان ربي العظيم
لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ
c. and the Sajdah is prolonged through Du’aa – a Hadith (3) mentions that the person is closest to His Rabb (Lord) in this state. Arabic prayers, that are mentioned in Qur’an and Hadith, should be whispered herein;
The person should hence strive to make the most out of these nights through personal ‘Ibādah (worshipping) in seclusion, during the darkness of these nights. On the contrary, arranging gatherings and feasts during these auspicious moments is against the purpose of these nights.
Adapted from the Jumu’ah discourse delivered (on 23rd Ramadhān 1437 A.H/ June 8th 2018) by Shaikh Muhammad Taqi Usmani
(1) It’s available with Urdu and English translations which should be used alongside to understand what is being said and asked in these Du’aas. The English translation (along with a brief commentary) had been published as “Accepted Whispers” (translated by Khalid Baig).
(2) أبي هريرة أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال : ( أقرب ما يكون العبد من ربه وهو ساجد فأكثروا الدعاء) مسلم ( 482 )